Vice Prime Minister, Dmitry Rogozin, has warned that Russia will use nuclear weapons if it comes under an attack, adding that this possibility serves as the main deterrent to potential provocateurs and aggressors.
“One can experiment as long as one wishes by deploying non-nuclear warheads on strategic missile carriers. But one should keep in mind that if there is an attack against us, we will certainly resort to using nuclear weapons in certain situations to defend our territory and state interests,” Rogozin, the defense industry chief said on Wednesday speaking at the State Duma, the lower house.
He pointed out that this principle is enshrined in Russia’s military doctrine. Any aggressor or group of aggressors should be aware of that, he said.
“We have never diminished the importance of nuclear weapons – the weapon of requital – as the great balancer of chances,” Rogozin said.
Russia to develop response to US Prompt Global Strike
Russia’s Fund of Perspective Researches (FPI) will develop a military response to the American Conventional Prompt Global Strike (PGS) strategy, Dmitry Rogozin told the State Duma.
So far, the FPI has already looked at over a thousand proposed ideas and plans to work on 60 projects, eight of which are top priority, the politician said. He refused to disclose any details, but said that one of those projects is focused on preparing a response to the PGS, which is the “main strategy” that the Pentagon is nurturing.
PGS would allow the United States to strike targets anywhere on the planet, with conventional weapons in as little as an hour.
As Rogozin explained earlier, the strategy would give America an advantage over a nuclear state, thanks to their better technical capabilities with weaponry, including the speed, RIA Novosti cited.
RT-2PM Topol ballistic missile
- Russia undertakes largest military exercise since cold war
- Russia and China hold large-scale war games
- China calls for world to ‘de-Americanise’
- US-Israeli created computer virus hits Russian nuclear plant
- WW3: Israel strikes Russian defense equipment inside sovereign Syria
- Russian lawmaker seeks to ban US dollar, predicts 2017 collapse
- Saudis offer Russia oil deal to drop Syrian support or face terror attack
- ‘Help Obama start WW3’: Mock Kickstarter campaign